In 1724 Prince Ludwig, the son of Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, decided to build a hunting lodge near a small hamlet called Klenow. Later on, after his succession to the Dukedom, this became his favourite residence and he named it accordingly Ludwigslust ("Ludwig's pleasure/desire"). In 1765 Ludwigslust became the capital of the duchy in place of Schwerin. The town was enlarged by a residential palace (the castle). This situation continued until 1837, when Grand Duke Paul Friedrich returned the capital status to Schwerin.